Rants-With some raves thrown in for good measure

Random thoughts about life in general.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A tale of two dos

Except for one really bad short perm back in middle school, I had long hair throughout my younger years. I'm talking about really long hair. I usually kept it waist-length.

That all changed while I was in college. I had friends who were hairstylists. I let one cut my hair to just past my shoulders. And the other I let have his way with my hair one day. And that was my first real foray into shorter hair.

Now I go back and forth between cutting all my hair off and spending years growing it out. It's been this way for the past 14 years.

I mention this because I've recently cut my hair short again after having had hair halfway down my back for the past three years. I was very excited. And I was very happy. Then it happened.

Someone said it made me look older and like a mom.

It was something a 33-year-old woman does not want to hear. It was very insulting. I've been dwelling on it ever since.

The mom comment didn't bother me as much because I am a mom. But it made me wonder if people thought I looked like a mom 10 years ago when I had a similar haircut.

And now I almost wish I hadn't cut my hair. I'm looking for a job. The last thing I need is to look older. Sexism and ageism exist. Attractive women in their 20s have better chances of getting a job when all other factors are equal.

And this is very illogical. I had more compliments on my haircut than anything else. Only one person was mean. I should trust the compliments. But one little comment makes me insane and obsessed. So I'm writing about it, hoping that venting will bring my mind a little peace.

You decide:

before

after

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home