Rants-With some raves thrown in for good measure

Random thoughts about life in general.

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Weaning

My daughter will be a year old in a little more than a week. Ever since I started her on solids, I've done everything to her pace. Baby-led weaning it's called.

And we are already down to only four (sometimes five) 10-minute nursings a day. She is getting less and less interested in breastfeeding. And that's good. I won't have to quit cold turkey, and she won't be traumatized by the whole process. In a couple weeks I hope to phase out another nursing. Following her lead, I will not ask or offer to nurse. But I will nurse if she gives me the signs that she wants to nurse. I think I will start with the mid-morning nursing. It seems to be the one she's the least interested in. She may not even notice.

It's a bittersweet time. Bitter because she is growing more independent. Bitter because we won't have that intimate time together anymore. Bitter because she is no longer a baby. Sweet because of all the breast issues. I won't have to deal with being engorged anymore. No more leaking. No more clogged milk ducts. I'll be able to sleep on my stomach again (this is related to the clogged ducts). Normal-sized boobs. Regular bras!!!!

So, my baby girl is becoming a little girl. Such is life.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Amanda Blu said…

    Hey girl! Nice blog. Ash said "no" to breast feeding but I a sure it is an individual choice. I need some new bras, too. Let's go cute bra shopping!

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    As soon as weaning is over, I am all for some new bras. Right now I'm not sure what size I will be. I may go back to what I was before or I may end up a little bigger. We will see!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home